Thursday, May 11, 2006

A *tiny* vent

Remember hubby's vest? I thought it would be finished by last week -- the finish line was just barely with my reach when it got pulled away further.

Blame it on hubby -- or more precisely, blame it on me for spoiling the surprise.

That day when I finished piecing the front and back together, I asked him to put it on to ensure that everything fits. Well, almost -- until he popped this statement, "where are the sleeves?"



*SLEEVES*! What sleeves?! Doesn't he know it's a vest that I am knitting?

Me: "You won't want to have sleeves. I thought you always wanted a vest ala East India Company style so that you can wear it here in Singapore! Long sleeves will be too hot for you!"

Hubby: "Erh...this material (pardon him on his poor word choice -- he's not quite into the knitter's lingo yet) is soft, airy and comfortable enough -- I can wear it in Singapore. Besides I see you wearing your blue top (that's Tinklebell, my readers) often so this must be ok. This will look good with long sleeves. What do you think?"

What do I think?! Hmmppf, not much...I thought all that's needed was for me to pick up the collar and finish it off; that's what I thought!

Hubby:
"Can do right? Should be easy for you to change the vest to a sweater? You do that all the time, isn't it?"

I can't refuse him. Not when:
1. He has such a high opinion that his wife can do *magic* with all that knitting.
2. Or that he just given me a lovely gift in the form of
Precious Moment knitting figurine.

Besides, if making sleeves is what's gonna make him wear this garment often -- I'll brave sleeve island and see this right to the end...

Except that my fingers are still resisting the need to cast on. Until last night.


Honestly if my hubby doesn't wear this sweater like he professes he will when it's completed, I'll be really mad!

Moral of the story: If you don't want to subject yourself to any pattern modifications or sudden pattern changes, DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT flash out the project and ask the recipient to try it on -- this act will surely bring on some creative *inputs* that may not be necessarily in your plan. Especially if you are on a deadline!

Ok, vent over. My
students sympathized upon hearing my plight last week during our group class. Co-incidentally, the feel-good came when FeliciaW brought some of these:



Ice cream = Comfort food!
*Yum*

11 comments:

Agnes on Fri May 12, 02:07:00 AM GMT+8 said...

But he LIKES it! So much that he wants to have sleeves with it ... so give him what he wants! LOL!

Ruth on Fri May 12, 04:15:00 AM GMT+8 said...

if my hubby asked for such a drastic change at the last minute (when completion is SO close), i would make sure he knew how much work it would be (lots of groaning and complaining). and if he still really wants those changes, i'll do them, but i would be very vocal with every little extra step/stitch i have to make. so he will "hear" all the work i'm doing, just for him. =)

celia on Fri May 12, 05:40:00 AM GMT+8 said...

awwww... i think it's cute he likes it so much.. but I am not sure I'd put the sleeves on ;) not even just for him.. It's like, "Honey, I love you, but the sleeves.. well I hate them more than I love you!" :)

Mimi on Fri May 12, 05:11:00 PM GMT+8 said...

So close to the ending. Well,but if he prefers with sleeves...
He will have to wear it more often! :D

Anonymous said...

your husband is so sweet! he wants to wear your knitted items!! :) where can i buy those ice-cream? it looks good. ;)

Anonymous said...

I think it is SO CUTE how he wants to wear a full blown sweater by his wife. And double "awwww" that he thinks you can do magic. Knit the man the sleeves :-)

P.S. Now i'm craving ice cream.

Hege on Mon May 15, 12:45:00 AM GMT+8 said...

You'll have the sleeves done in no time. Beautiful sweater, what a lucky guy!

Laura.Y on Tue May 16, 12:19:00 AM GMT+8 said...

:) that is such a cute conversation. Lucky hubby there. BTW, love that crochet dress u did. Makes me regret bypassing the crochet mag when I was browsing thru the stand the other day..:)

KnittenKnots on Tue May 16, 03:21:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Oh, you were so close to being finished. Oh well, he deserves some sleeves after buying you that cute precious moments figurine - bonus points there for sure. haha! By the way, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your crocheted dress - it is gorgeous - perfect fit!

Anonymous said...

Advice noted.

Sheila on Sun May 21, 12:20:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Reading your blog is such fun... I don't knit... but sympathize with you on doing the sleeves.. and I believe with your magic skills you will have it done in no time...

 

Webrings I am on

Vintagefusion Knits and Crochets Copyright © 2011 Photos and written content all by Emy unless otherwise indicated.