Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Everything about the Lily Chin crochet lace dress

Edited to add:
Several people have wrote to me asking where this pattern is available. I tried locating it myself and found that it's somehow not showing up. But there's the direct link to the Interweave Store Lily Chin crochet dress pattern page for the e-purchase download

************
Well, this is it!

This entry got delayed as I was trying to take reasonable photos of the dress. I am happy to report that the pre- / post- washing doesn't have much changes to the length, width etc.

lily chin lace crochet dress
The modelled, chest out, look far far away style.
No head shot coz that would probably spoil the photo.
So just use your imagination to envision the whole look ok?


Many have asked me for more details about this dress. Here are the notes:

Pattern: Lily Chin designed lace crochet dress found in the first issue of Interweave Crochet.
Size made: the smallest and teeniest (coz I modified the skirt from bodice down to have it body snug.)
Yarn used: 9 balls of Schachenmayr Nomotta Catania
Needles used: size 3mm and 4mm crochet hooks
Time taken: 2.5 weeks from start to finish -- that's a personal record for something this size (my crochet flowers motif top took the same amount of time too!)


Pattern construction

This pattern is worked in 2 directions:
- From below the bust/bodice up to the neck.
- Then pick and crochet downwards from the lower edge of the bust for the skirt.


Pattern modifications:
The dress draws in nicely and shortens automatically due to the smaller hook I used. I also added 2 more shell rows below the bust (by picking up from under the bust) when I realized that due to my hook change, the bodice ended up too short. [For those of you whose bust may be low set, you may need to add 2 rows or so of plain shells before you go into the shaping.]

I lowered the neckline as I found it too high for my liking. This is with much trial and error.

Other than that, I also found that there's a slight gap where the sleeve meets the bust so I added a small shell dart (as an afterthought), making it less obvious.I started out using the measurements for the smallest sizing but from the skirt portion, I went down 3 repeats from the start so it has a slimmer silhouette.

So as you can see, sometimes, I just like to fiddle with a pattern too much! LOL!
I have managed to find a black slip from my wardrobe which works fairly well. Except that the slip neckline threatens to do peek-a-boos at all times. So my students suggested a snap fastener to be sewn on the inside to make it stay in place.

Here's another with me sitting down.


Nothing too indecent...though I have to remember to do the obligatory dress sweep
before I sit to ensure it doesn't ride up too much!

So this is concludes my adventure with this lace crochet dress! I really love the way the dress fits and the minimal swing that makes this dress feminine yet chic due to the lower neckline. 
You can bet that this will be my favorite dress in my wardrobe from now on! [Until I knit or crochet another one, that is! (grin)] 

PS. Thanks to Jeanie for putting this up on her CrochetCast (aka podcast) -- do go check her out!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emy -- I started my dress tonight and am working on it even as I read your post. I have a question for you. Approximately how many hours would you estimate you invested into this dress? And if I may be so bold, what dress size are you in American sizes? Do you know? I started the size 36" bust and am hoping it's not going to be too large.

Anonymous said...

i think emy is a size 0 or even -1 :P

great work on the dress, and lucky you, saved lotsa yarn cos you're so svelte!

mona on Tue May 09, 01:51:00 PM GMT+8 said...

That's a gorgeous dress Emy. It helps when you have a lovely figure too. :)

Mona
http://knitnut.blogspot.com

Ruth on Tue May 09, 02:44:00 PM GMT+8 said...

dang girl - that is one gorgeous crochet dress! you did a terrific job and it looks beautiful on you! if only my figure were like yours too... hehe

Anonymous said...

Emy, it is so ladylike :)

Moze on Tue May 09, 04:57:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Wow. Words fail. Day-um, that is gorgeous!

Unknown on Tue May 09, 11:43:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Fabulous dress, Emy. You did such a great job.

Anonymous said...

My god, that's gorgeous! I love the understated color too, it works with the pattern!

- MJ

--Deb on Wed May 10, 10:14:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Oh, it looks just so wonderful! Great job, it looks amazing. (Now, excuse me, I really need to go do some more sit ups....)

Hege on Mon May 15, 12:37:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Wow, what a beautiful dress! And it looks gorgeous on you!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your version is much better than the original! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Amazing! What a dress!

Persnickety Knitter on Wed May 17, 10:18:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Wow! Just heard about your dress on CrochetCast -- and it's just as beautiful as Jeanie said. It is truly inspiring.

Anonymous said...

The dress is amazing!! How beautiful, WOW!

PoppyBoutillier on Fri May 19, 04:16:00 AM GMT+8 said...

your dress is absolutely gorgeous!

thanks for stopping by my site.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I heard about your dress on jeanie's crochetcast. And I had to check it out. And it is VERY beautiful.
I will be learning to crochet soon (when I get my crochet hook set), so I can't make anything that awesome looking. At least not yet. :)

But that dress looks GREAT.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emi, popping in as a Singaporean knitter to say hi -- I LOVE THAT DRESS! Now you've got me looking for something similar in knitted lace... do you think it's too much to hope that a pattern might exist somewhere?

It's hou pretty ar!

DMR on Mon Jun 15, 12:46:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Hi Emi, the dress looks great.
could u plz tell me from where i can find this pattern
thanks!!!!

emy on Tue Jun 16, 04:41:00 PM GMT+8 said...

hi DMR,

The pattern is found in the first issue of Interweave Crochet so I believe you may try www.interweave.com to get the back issue.

Cheers :)
Emy

Andy on Thu Nov 18, 05:29:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Hi Emy,
I am currently making this dress for my mother. I am stumped on the shaping of the sleeves. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the lace shell decreases and I also don't know where to make them since I didn't place markers like the directions indicated. I wonder if you can help me by explaining the decrease to me and advising me where to place the dec. Thanks for your help.
BTW, I love your version of the dress and I plan to follow your adjustments but I also would like to add 3/4 in sleeves.

Anyway, thanks for any words of advice and help!!

Andrea

emy on Fri Nov 19, 04:58:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Hi Andrea,

I have crocheted this back in 2006 and followed the pattern instructions accordingly so if you could go back to mark the stitches as required, I believe you should be able to succeed.

Sorry I can't be any more specific as it's been a few years so I can't recall.

Anonymous said...

how an I am able to get the free pattern for this dress? or are you able to email this pattern to me at frogface29@hotmail.com

emy on Mon May 21, 09:57:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Hi frogface29,

This pattern is available for sale - please go to http://www.interweavestore.com/Crochet/Patterns/Lace-Dress.html?SessionThemeID=19

Hope this helps.

Emy

 

Webrings I am on

Vintagefusion Knits and Crochets Copyright © 2011 Photos and written content all by Emy unless otherwise indicated.