Thursday, March 19, 2009

Crochet merry-go-round

During my extended absence in blogsphere, apart from working on my various WIPs and not getting anything crossing over the finishing line, I do a fair bit of browsing whenever I can.

At the bookshops and the world wide web.

But it creates an issue. Checking out the latest magazines, pattern books and blogger reviews just makes me want to start more projects.

So I developed startitis -- the idea of starting a crochet project crept in. I decided that it wouldn't just be a continuous row by row pattern. Instead, something like crochet squares or circular motifs being joined together appealed to me. (Similar to the one I previously crocheted.)

Actually, that should have set off the alarm bells. But obviously, my brain wasn't heeding any negative thoughts. I just dived straight in.

crochet motif joining close up

This is the motif that I used. And I was well into my 4th round when I just decided that something didn't look right. Murphy's Law kicked in.

granny square stitches close up

I started ripping back (about 3 motifs)....and redid some. But I realized something wasn't right. So I ripped back some more (about 8 motifs) and still the problem remained.

unravelled crochet circle motifs

I got so upset that I decided to put my foot down and teach the project a lesson. I decided that I would go as far back as unravelling 2 rounds' worth of motifs.

rounds of joined crochet motifs

THEN I found the problem -- a motif with an extra loop on the 2nd row! As a result of the 4 stitch loop, the amount of grief I experienced was inconsolable. I could have finished the bodice with the amount of back-ripping I was doing! *Imagine that!*

Learnt my lesson yet? You bet! I keep telling the gals that they have to check their projects every now and then so that they can minimize errors and avoid ripping back. So it's not the crochet tango that can happen but a crochet merry-go-round too!

I really do need to heed that advice myself.

4 comments:

Mirela Popovici on Sat Mar 21, 03:50:00 AM GMT+8 said...

I adore your knitting work, the tops are breathtaking! the fit is perfect ad they look gorgeous on you. What patterns are you using?

KimT on Mon Mar 23, 12:27:00 PM GMT+8 said...

experienced the same thing with a sewing project, sleeve in, sleeve oout, sleeve back in. ugh.....

Its going to be lovely once you are done.

Lolly on Tue Mar 24, 01:13:00 AM GMT+8 said...

It is great to see you again after so long! I hope you are doing well!

...I really need to learn more about crocheting. This is so pretty!

Ann on Sat Apr 11, 11:19:00 AM GMT+8 said...

So sorry that you had to rip your project but I think ripping a crochet project is so much easier than a knitted one. Thanks for visiting my blog. I have not blocked both my projects as I was quite anxious to take photos. I think I will have to block the bands of the black bolero.

 

Webrings I am on

Vintagefusion Knits and Crochets Copyright © 2011 Photos and written content all by Emy unless otherwise indicated.