Saturday, July 9, 2005

Flashbacks

My heart goes out to those who are devastated by the London bombings. Hope your friends and family are safe and sound. When I learnt of the news, it was almost like 9-11 all over. At that time, I was away in Korea on a business trip. When we saw the news flash in the hotel room, my colleague and I thought it was a joke.

Let's pray for world peace.


Speaking of flashback, I was surprised to re-discover my very 2nd knitting project when we went about clearing and repacking our stuff from the storage room at my mom's. This also brought back memories of my very first project.

My very first project was a long sleeved, v-neck ribbed top from a Rowan magazine. It was about 11 years ago. (Did that last statement make me sound old?) In case you are wondering on my rationale of knitting a garment for myself as a first project, I probably decided that I wouldn't want any of my family members to hang their head in shame on receiving my shoddy first attempt.

It was in cotton and wasn't very well made - the first sleeve was knitted way too tightly and its gauge compared to the 2nd sleeve was 2 inches off! I managed to wear it for a couple of times (read: no more than 5 times.) Muwhaha, no one will ever get to see that though as I have frogged my evil first project 4 years ago. The yarn is washed, wound and put away for future use.

On my second project however, my Mom volunteered to be the gift recipient. And I went on to knit this:

Here's a closeup of the collar and the stitches as well.


When I saw it the other day, I was (ahem) surprised to find that my taste hasn't quite changed since the day I picked up the needles. Those details on the collar and the YOs are still the stuff that makes my heart skip a beat. In fact, I recently bought some Japanese knitting books that has intricate collar and edging finishes which I think add great touches to the garments.

Maybe just one of these days, I would ask my mom to model it so that I can have a better idea of how it fits.


Do I need more knitting books?!
My dearest SP just gifted me with an Amazon certificate! Woohoo, time to go browsing for pattern books. Thanks so much, SP!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words on Trellis. I can't wait to finish it and get on to the other baby knits I need to do this summer.

Love the story of the first sweater. I don't have the first one I made, it was a baby sweater in Fair Isle ducks and ABCs. In cotton. No idea about proper seaming. But it stayed put together and that's all that matters.
chrisknits

jennifer on Sun Jul 10, 03:12:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Isn't it funny how we all so vividly remember our first sweaters? I paid respect to mine as my very first post in my blog, as well. Sort of a "shout out" to the big boxy thing. Never thought of frogging it, though. It is such nice yarn, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

emy on Wed Jul 13, 08:14:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Hi Chris & Jen,
I wrote this entry as a reminder to myself and an attempt to recall how the experience was.

What a long way since then! :)

 

Webrings I am on

Vintagefusion Knits and Crochets Copyright © 2011 Photos and written content all by Emy unless otherwise indicated.