Friday, June 17, 2005

Black or white?

What do you make out from this photo?
Apart from the obvious black and white colors?


There's a Chinese saying: A picture speaks a thousand words.

So here's my story behind the picture:
1. They are knitted using 2 different yarns.
2. Both have nubby textures; the black yarn is much softer.
3. The black piece is knitted on needles size that is bigger by 1mm compared to the white but the resulting size is remarkably close.
4. Using this yarn made me feel like I am back in kindergarten - counting rows is mission impossible.
5. Intense concentration, quiet surroundings, inner zen and faith are very crucial elements when using such yarns.


Using these nubby yarns once in a while is such a *good* workout for a change! Do the yarn manufacturers design these yarns to indulge themselves in the joy of torturing knitters or are they out to destroy whatever self-confidence knitters have? These yarns should have a warning label on them that says "Warning: Use this yarn to enjoy great frog pond trips!" or "Not for newbies".

I can imagine the grief that results when these yarns fell into the wrong hands!
[ok, I don't use row counters so maybe that's the problem.]

4 comments:

Mlle F. on Fri Jun 17, 11:36:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Stitch marker is THE secret for perfect round knitting. Or you can knit in round using two circular needles. Cannot miss the end, unless you knit short row...

yuvee on Sat Jun 18, 12:26:00 AM GMT+8 said...

What?are they sleeves with different colour for each side?

emy on Sat Jun 18, 10:18:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Hehe, I didn't think it was going to be that challenging but when I attempted some seaming; it's really by instinct. :)

And Yuvee, make another guess. Think my other knitting categories. [hint, hint]

Anonymous said...

OH man. I am glad that even a good knitter like you has trouble with nubby yarns. As a complete beginner, I actually attempted my 1st project w/ one and then couldn't understand why everyone but me could count stitches.

 

Webrings I am on

Vintagefusion Knits and Crochets Copyright © 2011 Photos and written content all by Emy unless otherwise indicated.