Sunday, March 6, 2005

Being KS*

KS - for Singaporeans or those who know Singlish, they'll probably be wondering why I am saying I am *kiasu*. Singlish is a localized, adapted English language - if you ever meet Singaporeans and want to get on with them, show them a thing or two; here's a dictionary to help you out.

From the Singlish dictionary

"KIASU" (kee-ah-soo)
Hokkien adjective literally meaning, "afraid of losing". A highly pejorative description beloved of Singaporeans. Possibly our defining national characteristic. The nearest English equivalent is "dog in a manger", though even that is pretty mild.



Now, in case you are assuming that all Singaporeans have bad English; I've just taken this interesting test:
The Commonly Confused Words Test. I chanced upon it when I went blog surfing and it on Kate's blog.

You wanna know how I fared? I am sure you do! Here's my results (no score fixing):


English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 80% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 83% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

Ahem...don't take it too seriously! I rather the term KS be:
Swiftly!


And speaking of KS, here's Ms Saffron to date
She's coping well.

I fit my sleeves into the armholes and then kitchener around, rather than seaming them flat. Personally, I feel that it's easier that way for me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I just use these Clover *comma markers* and just indicatively do markings so I know how much ease is needed. She's so touched that she's hugging my knee! (Frankly, unorthodox but the curvature allows me to seam without tugging too tightly at the stitches along the curved edges.)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And here's the sleeves all done! I took about 75 mins to get both sleeves seamed to the armscyes.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Next up - the buttonhole and neckbands...


Camera research update
Oh and Kate did leave me comments in my last entry suggesting Panasonic Lumix 5 mp which comes with Leica lens! Hmm...time to do a little research.


Some greenery for my blog
Over at
Eilene's blog, she constantly displays her love for orchids. And Singapore's national flower, by the way is Vanda Miss Joaquim, an orchid hybrid. My green fingers' skills are very limited so I'll show you this:

Ta-da! My *very own* money plant...(even then, my galfriend was the one who kindly potted it and gave me specific instructions on how to water it, as seen by that meter thingy you see stabbed in the pot!)

* I think having a portable and easy to use camera really jazzes me up! Look at all the pictures in my entries lately! I'll post more photos once I go materials selection & shopping for my apartment next week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms saffron looks sweet, and those are the most interesting sleeve seaming photos I have ever seen. :) Best wishes on that thesis.

mona on Mon Mar 07, 11:31:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Hi Emy
I want to do Ms Saffron too - want to trade that mag once you're done?
My colleague just bought a Pentax Optio s50 and it works like a dream. I think I might be buying one soon too.
I have a car sticker that says " you kia su but I kia si" . I think you understand :)


Mona

alison on Mon Mar 07, 09:35:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Saffron looks lovely! Neat technique for sewing in the sleeves. I'll have to try it sometime!

 

Webrings I am on

Vintagefusion Knits and Crochets Copyright © 2011 Photos and written content all by Emy unless otherwise indicated.