Saturday, January 8, 2011

2011 - no resolution and spring cleaning

It's always somehow a given that most people spell out their New Year Resolutions. For crafters such as knitters and crocheters, a few most typical ones are:
  • Knitting or crocheting only from stash or SABLE (really, what's the fun if you can't do yarn shopping?)
  • Finishing up the WIPs (I have too many to count.)
  • Starting a new project for each WIP completed (if I do that, I just might not have any new projects started for 2011!)
As you can tell, I have decided not to set for myself any craft-related resolutions in 2011.

I would say:
  • Just knit and crochet the projects that matter to you. 
  • It's ok to have more than 3 projects at the same time and start a new one if the whim hits you.
  • Be honest with yourself -- if you really feel that the WIP is not turning out to be something you'll like, then take the plunge and purge it. Or fix it if you can.
  • If the WIPs turn into UFOs and you are still not feeling the mood to get working on them, then get rid of them. 
  • Likewise, for the FOs -- if you just don't use them, why hold on to them?
The last 2 points might make me sound like a wasteful person but I figured life's too short to have all these unfinished or unloved projects weighing down on my shoulders.


So here's the deal. I have just cleared out some of my old crocheted bags and satchels. Some are finished but never used. Others are WIPs that I never got around to finishing. And one was very well used to the extent of having stains on them and then get tossed aside.

hand crocheted bags in Singapore

And the feeling? 

Honestly, I have never felt better of letting go. I felt a wave of lightness as I cleared these out. No need to feel anymore guilt or remorse of not *doing something* about them, if you know what I mean?

There are still quite a few toy WIPs; either requiring stuffing, seaming, then piecework.

learning knitting toy lessons

And also some garment projects. I have not done anything to those yet as they are everywhere in the yarn room. Perhaps when I put these WIPs together, I'll make a decision of what stays and what goes.


Did I also mention that I have tossed quite a huge amount of yarn shadecards? Many of them are discontinued   or duplicated. And there are some yarn ranges that just don't strike my fancy. So out they go too!

knitting yarn shadecards singapore


I'll consider that I am doing my Chinese New Year spring cleaning in advance -- this year, CNY falls on Feb 04 so it's less than a month to the festive season. And since it's a big deal to us Chinese (not to mention we get two official Public Holidays), I am hoping to get some headstart in the "getting rid of the old, to welcome the new."

How has 2011 been for you?

3 comments:

celia on Mon Jan 10, 01:49:00 PM GMT+8 said...

We have been cleaning too.. A few large garbage bags later.. I feel lighter.. but the work is not done yet

emy on Mon Jan 10, 06:57:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Celia, I know how you feel. Cleaning's a neverending task!

DonnaC on Thu Feb 03, 09:41:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Great post! I love the idea of revisiting WIPs and getting rid of the ones I know I'll honestly never finish!

 

Webrings I am on

Vintagefusion Knits and Crochets Copyright © 2011 Photos and written content all by Emy unless otherwise indicated.