Friday, March 10, 2006

Are we done yet?

The round knitted shawl is moving along quickly. In fact so fast that by 2pm yesterday, this is how much it has grown.


My galfriend says it looks more like a bag. What does she know? And by 7pm, while I am on the train (yes, I am a BIG believer of KIP1), I casted it off.

This is how crumply lace looks like. I wonder how others manage their artistic shots.

I should have been happy but I wasn't. When I got home, I tried it on and found it a tad too small for my liking. So what does a gal have to do? Rip back and add more rounds, of course!

Just picture a woman with glazed eyes, looking maddeningly intense, frantically unravelling her work. No lifelines, no coffee, nothing. In less than 15 minutes, I got to where I wanted to be. And having fun working out the next steps.

I am not sure which is more cruel:
Ripping out a shawl with its ending round of 400+ stitches and back out almost by 10 rows?
(By the last few rounds, I was knitting each round of 400+sts for about 25 mins so that's like 5hrs lost?)
Or touching the finish line to be cried *foul* and sent back for re-run?
(Or be grateful that I am given the chance to learn more about charting increase round repeats?)


1. KIP = knitting in public

4 comments:

Mimi on Fri Mar 10, 02:14:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Oh it's painful to frog all those sts! And with lace it's so hard to put the sts back... Hope you get your desired size this time!

Toni on Sun Mar 12, 01:50:00 AM GMT+8 said...

I try to remember when ripping a bezillion stitches that it's better to rip now than to be disatisfied later. You're really zooming along on this one--looking forward to seeing the FO.

Catherine Kerth on Sun Mar 12, 04:04:00 AM GMT+8 said...

oh man! tough decision! i was left with a a dilema like that with birch, luckily i was in the postion just to say a prayer and cast off... birch turned out to be a really pretty scarf intead of a full length shawl! i love the color you are using... very ey catching.. what ever you decide it will be beautiful!

Lene on Wed Mar 15, 04:48:00 PM GMT+8 said...

You are the first knitter I know from Singapore! Hi!

Ripping lace and picking stitches afterwards must be one of the most difficult tasks in knitting. But very little is as rewarding as knitting lace...

 

Webrings I am on

Vintagefusion Knits and Crochets Copyright © 2011 Photos and written content all by Emy unless otherwise indicated.