Saturday, August 20, 2005

Cushy talk

Thanks for all your kind comments on the earlier pillow case. Let's hope my swap partner would like it.

Look what I found this in my WIP basket today (we're talking about the basket that was pushed and buried right at the back of the closet):


Another cushion cover! There is two actually but only one made it into this photo as we only have one cushion in the house which it fits. These are crocheted 5 years ago.

Notice the colors? It's amazing that the shades of deep reds and pinks have been a favorite of mine for such a long time! (Just ignore the sofa color, I know it is a bad display job.) I'll have to go Ikea and grab another cushion-- you'll get the twin shoot later.

So why they are in the WIP basket for such a long time?

They lack closures; the buttonholes are all there. So button shopping is in order this weekend! (Please don't tell hubby that I could have used ribbon ties; it's been a long while since I did craft shopping for myself! Shopping for secret pal, exchanges or swaps don't count, do they?)

Wait, there's more. We bought some no-frills Ikea seat cushions for the dining stools last weekend. Hubby is now suggesting that I could make some covers to jazz them up. Duh!

Here's a photo of our dining area.


Would anyone care to make suggestions as to the patterns I could use for the covers? The seat cushions are square and I am hoping for a modern yet comfy look.

7 comments:

Megan on Sat Aug 20, 07:44:00 AM GMT+8 said...

My initial thought was to suggest large grannies, I know, not very modern, but I like them. Then I thought, wait, how about a square worked from one corner out? I know I've seen patterns in the book 200 Crochet Blocks, but I can't find pictures online. Or you could just knit some mitered squares, although it would be simple to figure out the crocheted version, I'm sure.

Anyway, best of luck, and I really love that rippled cushion cover!

Mlle F. on Sun Aug 21, 08:41:00 PM GMT+8 said...

What about shark cushion from rowan? With proper colors obviously... It would be too bad not to follow the lines and main colors of the room. The shape should be square, with square sides as is the cushion in "last minute knitted gift" goob luck!!

http://www.thewoolshack.com/patterns.htm?action=display&PatternID=259&BackText=Book%2028

Anonymous said...

Rowan 36 had eight different cushion cover patterns in it. Most of them were really neat and could probably be used for seat covers. You can see pictures of them at http://www.woolshack.com/rowan.htm?action=browse&ProductID=1070. (Just scroll down to the bottom.)

Anonymous said...

I'm having serious home decor envy here. How about this pattern:
http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50393220&yarnid=5420121
Although it's for a throw, it's made up of modular units and you can make just one square for your seat cover. And if you feel like it, you may want to work up an entire throw to match for your living room!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty colorway on the seat cushion!

Anonymous said...

I love the pillow covers! Uh oh...is some home knitting going to be the next in thing?

IndigoMuse on Tue Aug 23, 11:06:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Hi Emy,

I sent you an email about hosting Zira (the felted monkey) next after her trip to Israel. Are you still up for it? Let me know.

I love your dining room furniture and really like the idea of square pillows (with square sides). West Elm has lots of great ideas for colors that will go with what you have.

Tanya

 

Webrings I am on

Vintagefusion Knits and Crochets Copyright © 2011 Photos and written content all by Emy unless otherwise indicated.